Septic and Title V

How do I locate my septic tank?
The Health department has on file septic design plans, system as-built plans and/or copies of Title V inspection reports which can aid the homeowner in locating septic system components.

How often should I pump out my septic tank?
A septic tank requires pumping generally every 2 years.  By removing solids, sludge and greases, you provide more liquid volume in the tank and also insure solids do not leave the tank and enter the leaching system. For additional maintenance and care information, please see the Septic System Informational Flyer.

When do I need to have a Title V inspection of my septic system?
Per the Massachusetts State Septic Regulation 310 CMR 15.000, most commonly known as Title V, septic systems require inspection upon transfer of title to the facility served by the system.  An inspection conducted up to three years before the time of transfer may be used if the inspection report is accompanied by system pumping records demonstrating that the system has been pumped at least once per year during that time.

Who can conduct a Title V inspection and how do I find an inspector?
The Franklin Health Department does not license Title V Inspectors.  These professionals obtain their inspection authority and are licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.  To locate an inspector one should search the yellow pages under septic systems/septic inspectors/repair.  The Franklin Health Department does license septic system installers and maintains a current of list licensed installers which is available to the public upon request.