The purpose of the Library Board of Directors is for providing input and ideas to the Town Administrator related to Library Services provided by the Town of Franklin such as:
- Provide recommendations for the operation of the library services and programs.
- Promote a coordination of efforts between agencies providing library services within and outside the Town.
- Sponsor surveys of facilities, programs, and services within the Town for the purpose of assessing library needs, including the need for capital improvements to, or in the library.
- Respond to the Town Administrator request to review and recommend the annual Capital and Operating budget to the Town Administrator.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing and the reviewing of credentials of candidates for the position of With approval of the Town Council, solicit and receive grants, gifts and donations to be applied for library purposes.
- Recommend appropriate space use in existing facilities.
- Make policy and program recommendations to the Town Administrator.
The Library Board of Directors shall consist of five (5) persons appointed by the Town Administrator, subject to ratification by the Town Council and serving without pay. Members must be residents of the Town of Franklin and interested in the promotion of the Town of Franklin Library. Elected officials or library employees of the Town of Franklin will not be appointed as members of the Board. The Franklin Library Director will be an ex-officio member of the Board.
Term of office shall be for three years or until the appointment of a qualified successor. When first constituted, one member shall be appointed for a one year term, two members for a two year term and two members for a three year term. Thereafter the term of office shall expire after a three year term. Vacancies occurring otherwise than by expiration of a term shall be filled by the Town Administrator for the unexpired term.