The Recreation Advisory Board's purpose is to assist other town agencies in meeting the recreational needs of the community. The Board works closely with the Director of Recreation, the Town Administrator, the Department of Public Works, as well as the School Facilities Department, and the Athletic Director. The Recreation Advisory Board also advises the Town Administrator, Finance Committee and Town Council regarding the expenditure of monies from the Fletcher Fund. The Recreation Advisory Board meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to youth recreation, development of additional playing fields, field dedications, and spring/fall field allocations.
During the past year, the Recreation Advisory Board worked on the following:
- Advised Public Works regarding safety concerns of fencing at Dacey Field, Fletcher Field and recommended replacement fencing.
- Completed the conflict of interest law examination and submitted to Town Clerk.
- Reviewed and commented on the 2015 Open Space and Recreation Plan.
- On-going discussions with Public Works on our successful trash and recycling program for public facilities.
- Reviewed and accepted all field permit applications with assistance from Director of Recreation.
- Monitor capital projects at DelCarte Recreation Area.
- Advised Director of Recreation on Fletcher Tot Lot components.
Goals of the Recreation Advisory Board
- Development of multi purpose facilities in various locations of town.
- Continued partnership with the Department of Public Works Grounds and Maintenance Division, and their efforts to maintain all town and school fields.
- Bring all recreational facilities into compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act, making facilities accessible to all users.
Members of the Recreation Advisory Board are: Chairman; Wayne Simarrian, Larry Pollard, Mark Eccher, Kinjal Patel, and Robert Dellorco.
Ex-officio members include: Jeff Boudreau, Franklin Youth Baseball, Bjorn Dragsbeak, Franklin Youth Soccer Association, A.J. Grant, Franklin Charges Pop Warner Football, Gregg Chaulk, Franklin Girls Softball Association, Pete Davis, Franklin Boys Lacrosse, and Tom Angelo, FHS Athletic Director.
Wayne R. Simarrian