Veteran ID Cards

How to apply for a Veteran ID Card

A Veteran ID Card (VIC) is a form of photo ID you can use to get discounts offered to Veterans at many restaurants, hotels, stores and other businesses. 

Please note: Retail vendors volunteer to take part in this discount program. If a business decides to provide discounts to Veterans, it doesn't mean we're recommending or favoring that business.

Am I eligibile for a Veteran ID Card?

You may be eligible if you meet of both of the requirements listed below:

Both of these must be true. You:

  • Served on active duty, in the Reserves or in the National Guard (including the Coast Guard) and 
  • Received an honorable or general discharge (under honorable condtions)

You'll need to provide a copy of your discharge papers when you apply for a VIC to prove your character of discharge.

How do I apply for a Veteran ID Card?

You can apply online by going to and following the instructions. 

When you apply, be sure to have these on hand:

  • Your Social Security number
  • A digital copy of your DD214, DD256, DD257 or NGB22 that you can upload. This could be in a pdf, jpeg or png file format.
  • A copy of a current and valid government-issued ID, such as a driver's license, passport, or state-issued identification card.
  • You'll also need a current digital color photo of yourself from the shoulders up, uploaded as a jpeg, png, bmp or tiff file.No head coverings or headphones and show you with your eyes open. Photo must be square and have a white or plain color background.
  • A mobile device on which you can receive emails or text messages.
  • Your email address and log-in information (password associated with that email address)

What hapens after I apply for a Veteran ID Card?

Once you've submitted your VIC application, we'll verify your eligibility and send you an email letting you know the status of your application.

How do I check the staus of my application after I've applied?

You can sign in to your online AccessVA account to check the status of your VIC application.

What if I have questions or need help with my application?

If you have questions or need help, please send us an email at: or call the Franklin Veterans Service Office at:

(508) 613-1315