If you are in the process of selling your home, please call the Department of Public Works at 508-553-5500 to schedule a final water reading approximately 7 to 10 days before your closing. If your home is 20 years or older, we will need to schedule an appointment for our technician to enter your home (appointments should take no longer than 30 minutes). If your home is less than 20 years old, the reading will be done remotely. Reminder that final readings need to be done for homes that are sewer/trash only accounts as well. Inspections can be scheduled once the home is listed in order to have more time for repairs if necessary, so that closings are not held up. Then call us back 7-10 days prior to the closing for a final water read (which will be done remotely).
When scheduling, the following information will be needed:
- Current homeowner information
- New homeowner information
- Closing Date
For homes 20 years or older the visual inspection will be looking at the following:
- Verify our meter records and check the condition and proper function of the meter. If an issue is found it will be fixed by the meter technician during the inspection.
- For Public Safety, we will be checking for any cross-connection between the Towns water system and another source of water or wastewater. If a cross-connection is found a violation notice will be provided during the inspection. The violation must be rectified before the final water,sewer,trash bill will be issued.
- Determine material and condition of the water service coming into the house from the street.
- Check for sump pump connections to the sewer system. If a sump pump connection into the sewer system is found a violation notice will be provided during the inspection. The violation must be rectified before the final water,sewer,trash bill will be issued.
*Please note that a $75 fee is due at the time of request.