I am having an issue in my rented apartment but my landlord has been less than responsive. Can the Health Department help me?

The Franklin Health Department is responsible for investigating violations of the State Sanitary Code relative to housing, 105 CMR 410.000.  Your first course of action is to attempt to resolve the issue with your landlord.  A certified letter clearly stating your concerns/issues should be sent to the property owner.  If after a reasonable amount of time you receive no response, you should contact the Franklin Health Department to request an inspection.  If eviction proceedings or other legal action is pending prior to the request for an inspection, the Health Department defers to the courts to resolve the situation.